We’re hiring a Head of Marketing
Sense Media was established in 2015, and quickly grew a strong reputation for running high quality events for engineers and scientists working on automotive safety systems, or ADAS (https://auto-sens.com/). We have a start-up mentality, very flexible working arrangement, a highly-skilled team and our Community includes over 6,000 people from across the planet.
2020 was a very tough year, our events had to be cancelled and we had to reinvent ourselves as a digital events business overnight. We learned a lot along the way and still managed to turn a profit. In 2021 we returned to physical events and have been planning our strategy for the future, and 2022 is our opportunity to deliver on those plans. It is an exciting time!
As well as having refined our digital event formula, we have built a brand-new website (launched in Feb 2021), and three new product lines:
- AutoSens Academy – a 12-module online training course covering all the key technical topics for our community.
- AutoSensPLUS – a ‘Netflix for Engineers’ bringing together fresh new content with our archive of technical presentations.
- InCabin – a new conference series spun out from AutoSens, starting with a launch in 2022 and rapid growth plans in 2023 and beyond.
We are in a new phase of our story, and it feels like the start of a very exciting time for the business. We are investing in our sales and marketing teams to ensure we maximise the returns on these new products.
In your role, you will own the strategy for marketing and plan your own activity. You will report to the Operations Director and work closely with them as well as the Managing Director, and Commercial Director to form the strategy to deliver against business objectives. You’ll manage one Senior Marketing Executive with 2 years in the business, and have the opportunity to add to your team within the first year.
This role has been created as the current Marketing Director and Co-Founder is taking a step back from the marketing function and will not be involved operationally for the foreseeable future, however they will be involved in onboarding and work alongside you during a handover period. They will continue to be part of the business going forward. To be clear, however, you as the Head of Marketing will be the senior marketing team member in the business and be fully accountable for all of our marketing activities. You may have the opportunity to progress to the Marketing Director role if you prove yourself over the first 2 years in role.
We are a small business, and you will be required to get hands on (particularly in the first 9-12 months), so it’s important that you are willing to work directly on campaigns, which may include email marketing, social media, website updates and marketing automation in our HubSpot CRM. However, as part of a team of 3 by the end of your first year, we expect you will be able to focus on the high-level activities, strategy and value add.
We work with the following tech stack – HubSpot, WordPress (with Elementor), Woocommerce, Woopra, Google Analytics, and Microsoft Teams.
Closing date: Friday 28 January 2022
Job title: Head of Marketing
Hours: Full time 37.5 hours per week, work at home 4 days per week
Reporting to: Operations Director
- Exceptional leadership and communication skills, a deep understanding of B2B media marketing strategy and operations, and validated experience executing best-in-class events, training and digital engagement.
- Expert-level knowledge in the following fields:
- Email and social media marketing
- Website design and UI
- PPC campaign management and lead generation
- Account based marketing
- B2B media marketing messaging and strategy
- Design and branding
- Pricing strategies and Budgeting
- Extensive event and onsite experience.
- Strong leadership skills and be able to nurture and develop your team members.
- A can-do attitude and enjoy being hands-on with your team’s work.
- A network of industry peers to draw upon for advice, while you’ll also invest time to build new connections to help you deliver great results in your role.
- Define and implement marketing strategy across all product groups – events, online content, training, subscriptions.
- Manage and optimise account-based market intelligence and marketing activity.
- Manage and optimise data flow from lead generation > lead nurturing > sales pipeline.
- Understand ROI from all customer engagements and adapt and adjust marketing strategy accordingly.
- Implement best practice across email, social media marketing, branding, PPC, partnerships, website design and UI.
- Recruitment, development and retention of talent
- Set, monitor and report on team goals
- Prepare and manage budgets across the marketing function
- Build and leverage external relationships with clients and partners, industry experts, and your marketing peers to bring added value into the business.
- Ensure our brand message is strong and consistent across all channels
Join the team
If you’d like to learn more about joining Sense Media as the Head of Marketing, please send your CV and a cover note to Robert Stead, Managing Director at Sense Media Events