We’re hiring a Business Development Executive
Sense Media was established in 2015, and quickly grew a strong reputation for running high quality events for engineers and scientists working on automotive safety systems, or ADAS. We have a start-up mentality, very flexible working arrangement, a highly-skilled team and our Community includes over 6,000 people from across the planet.
2020 was a very tough year, our events had to be cancelled and we had to reinvent ourselves as a digital events business overnight. We learned a lot along the way and still managed to turn a profit. Meanwhile, we were planning our strategy for the future, and this year is our opportunity to deliver on those plans. It is an exciting time!
As well as having refined our digital event formula, we have built a brand-new website (launched in Feb), and three new product lines:
- AutoSens Academy – a 12-module online training course covering all the key technical topics for our community.
- AutoSens Research – an interactive, dynamic, online resource for market research and technology analysis.
- AutoSens+ – a ‘Netflix for Engineers’ bringing together fresh new content with our archive of technical presentations.
We are in a new phase of our story, and it feels like the start of a very exciting time for the business. We are investing in our sales and marketing teams to ensure we maximise the returns on these new products.
In your role, you will ‘own’ the strategy for business development and plan your own activity. With close support, you will be reaching out to the Community and understanding what their key needs are. You will need strong research skills to find the right contact and versatility to understand what their needs are, and how AutoSens can help.
One client may be interested in AutoSens Academy training and another more interested in the AutoSens research. Another may find it more effective to attend a conference and meet the Community face to face. You will need to identify which is right for them and their company, and demonstrate how AutoSens can help them meet their challenges.
AutoSens is a close-knit team but working from home 4 days a week will mean you need to be able to plan your own day effectively. Full training will be given on all aspects of the role and you will be able to move between face to face and phone selling, inputting into email marketing and meetings.
You will contribute to company meetings and report successes; share feedback and contribute new ideas. Working effectively in a small team will be essential to the role.
Closing date: Friday 19 March 2021
Job title: Business Development Executive
Hours: Full time 37.5 hours per week, work at home 4 days per week
Salary: £25,000 basic + uncapped commission as below (OTE £38k)
Reporting to: Head of Business Development
- You will have a natural interest in new technology (automotive and/or electronics would be an advantage but not essential), and always keen to learn. You’ll be a great communicator, written and verbal, with an infectious enthusiasm for your work.
- You will have a can-do attitude, an autonomous problem solver who works well under your own initiative, a flexible approach to work life and a positive attitude.
- We’ll expect you to be confident on the phone, able to work unsupervised at home, but also able to travel in the UK and abroad to support your business objectives (when permitted).
- Strong research skills and attention to detail, aptitude to understand complex supply chains, quick learner, good listener.
- One years’ experience in conference delegate sales or business information sales would be an advantage.
- Education in science / engineering a strong advantage but not essential – we don’t expect you to be an engineer, but we need you to be able to understand what makes them tick.
- Pitching and selling of AutoSens+ subscriptions, AutoSens Academy passes, AutoSens conference tickets, and AutoSens Research subscriptions.
- Annual business sales target of £300,000 in 2021-22
- Telesales activity, nurture prospects via email
- Research contacts, update and populate in HubSpot CRM
- Meet monthly sales targets as agreed with manager
- Attending industry conferences and meetings to generate new business leads
- Undertake other reasonable duties and responsibilities appropriate to the position as allocated by line manager
Join the team
If you’d like to learn more about joining Sense Media as the Business Development Executive, please send your CV and a cover note to Richard Powell, Head of Business Development at Sense Media Events